JUST SAY “YES!”
IT’S TIME TO LABEL GMOs in NEW JERSEY!
Welcome to GMO Free NJ! You are part of a rapidly growing global movement to reclaim our food choice freedom. Please explore the resources in this website to learn more about the situation, but right now it’s time to take action! New Jersey has a GMO labeling bill and YOU can help make it the law. HERE’S HOW:
ACTION ALERT–MAKE GMO LABELING THE LAW IN NJ!
New Jersey’s Assembly State and Local Government Committee released the labeling bill; next step – the full Assembly Floor! BUT, in order to keep this bill moving so that it eventually becomes law, we must have the support of our legislators.
ACTION ONE: CALL YOUR LEGISLATORS!
We each have two NJ Assemblypeople and one NJ Senator–find yours here: http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/
A. Send them an email
B. Call and speak with their office using talking points above.
C. Ask for a meeting–remember WE hired them and pay their salaries!
AND, call them again! Next time you call, ask them if they have made a commitment to support this legislation. Remember, they are here to serve and carry out the will of their constituents.
* Bill numbers: Assembly–A-1359, Senate–S-91
* There is no scientific consensus on GMO safety, yet the FDA relies solely on voluntary safety assessment by the very companies that profit from the sales of these products.
* There are known health and environmental risks associated with the chemicals required by GMO agriculture. When people eat genetically engineered foods they are consuming more herbicides and pesticides. Truthful labels will promote food safety and protect consumer health and enable traceability of unintended health consequences from the consumption of GE foods.
* A free market functions most efficiently when consumers are informed. Consumers should be provided with needed product information to make educated decisions about what to feed themselves and their families.
* Companies change their labels all the time. Dozens of other countries have established mandatory labeling without increasing food costs. We are talking about adding one line of text.
* CT, ME And VT have passed labeling laws. ALL other States in the NE, and many more across the country are part of an active labeling movement. So far this year, 67 GMO labeling bills have been introduced in 25 states. In a dozen states, at least one legislative committee has approved a GMO bill. We NEED New Jersey to join the leaders on this important issue and set the standard for meaningful GMO labeling legislation.
* Ask them to co-sponsor this important legislation. If they are already co-sponsoring, thank them.
ACTION TWO: CALL OUR LEADERS
The Senate and Assembly leaders need to hear from all of us. Let them know that we the consumers of the Garden State NEED to know what is in our food. These leaders have the power to make sure these bills get hearings and are passed through the legislature. See talking points above.
Assembly Speaker Prieto
Bill number: A-1359
Assembly Majority Leader Louis Greenwald
Bill number: A-1359
Senate Majority Leader Loretta Weinberg
Bill number: S-91