In November, California will vote on whether GMO-sourced food should be labeled. The question on the ballot is called Proposition 37 and you can read the entire text here.
Why this affects everyone in America
This vote is arguably the biggest event in the short history of genetically engineered food and greatly impacts the future of our food supply; not just in California but for the entire United States. It affects all of us because it sets a precedent; food manufacturers are unlikely to create different labels for different states. If Prop 37 is passed it is probable that they will stop using GMOs entirely in response to consumer’s concerns. California blazes the trail, the rest will follow.
Why Be Concerned?
You can peruse this website and its resources to find a plethora of reasons that dangerous untested and unregulated GMO foods should be labeled. And here is a great article that you will find thought provoking.
So, read, think and take action.
What are we up against?
The big biotech companies are opposed to labeling and have raised $25,000,000 which will be used to try to persuade California voters to reject truth and transparency in labeling by voting against Prop 37. We wonder how many hungry people could be fed with that much money? The spin has begun and is expected to grow exponentially, bombarding CA voters with lies and propaganda. You can read this short article to separate the facts from the fiction that has already hit the airwaves.
This is our opportunity to show them that we are onto their deceptive tactics and that the power of human awareness and intelligence is far greater than all of their millions of dollars.
Ways to help:
If you live in California vote YES on Prop 37 in November because you have the right to know what you are eating!
Here are some ways for everybody to help:
- Call all your California friends–tell them why they should vote YES on Prop 37 and inspire them to take action in their communities
- Spread the word! When speaking with local friends, impress upon them the importance of Prop 37 to all Americans.
- Use social media. Share on your Facebook page and in your groups. Tweet about it.
- https://carighttoknow-labelgmos.nationbuilder.com/donate37even a dollar; it all helps to get the word out to voters about this important issue. For as little as $20 you can help this commercial see the light of day in CA.
- Make phone calls to CA voters. Sign up here.
- Watch The World According to Monsanto, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rml_k005tsU&feature=youtube_gdata_player and host a screening for family and friends
- Wear your heart on your sleeve–www.zazzle.com/carighttoknow/gifts get a bumper sticker or t-shirt.
- Avoid GMOs–www.gmoawareness.org/faq.pdf vote with your pocketbook–just don’t buy them!
- Get familiar with and buy from the companies that support labeling.
- Get connected with others by joining a local or national Facebook group.
- Or follow on Twitter @_food_4thought
- Find out more about Prop 37 and the movement to label genetically engineered food at CA Right to Know www.facebook.com/groups/393763147357979/ and Just Label It http://justlabelit.org/
And many thanks to Mike Kinnaird and our friends from CA Right To Know–we appreciate your pioneering efforts!
- CA Right to Know (12)
- GMO free USA (10)
- GMO free NJ (11)
- Just Label It (13)
- Text of Prop 37 (1)
- Article of top ten lies told by Monsanto (2)
- YouTube The World According to Monsanto (7)
- YouTube TV commercial (3)
- T-Shirts and bumper stickers (8)
- Donate money (4)
- Avoid GMOs (9)
- Great article (1a)